Whether New York all the way or independent through and through, we all want to make sure we’re making the best decisions for our babies (read: books), and it’s not always easy to find the right house for your work, but here are ten reasons you might consider changing publishers.
10. Your publisher is your Great-Aunt Martha who prints books in her basement.
9. A clause in your contract says you must wear MC Hammer pants to publishing functions.
8. Your publisher still uses papyrus as its publishing medium.
7. Your book cover artist’s stick figures just aren’t sexy enough.
6. To determine the publishing queue for the year, the other authors and you must battle it out in a Hunger Games-like competition.
5. Your female editor ends every conversation with, “Who’s your daddy?”
4. The publisher is willing to publish if you change the characters, the setting, the plot, oh…and the author.
3. Your publisher pays you in gum (and it’s not even Trident Layers).
2. Your Star Wars addicted editor insists you put the words “I am your father” in every book.
1. For every 1000 books you sell, you win the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.